Historical Societies and Museums
Alabama: Chase Community Depot: headquartered in Chase Community, Alabama. This is the smallest Union Station in the USA. It offers a museum plus a 1 hour train ride.
Alabama: Historic Huntsville Depot: Three story structure housing a museum and model railroad layout: steam engines, rail cars and other land transportation equipment available for inspection.
Alaska Railroad: in Anchorage Alaska: 469 miles of track through state and National parks. Offers scenic rides to tourists.
Alaska: Alaska Railroad: in Wasilla, Alaska. This is a museum of Alaska Transportation & Industry. Standard Gauge display of Alaska Railroad Locomotives and 26 items of rolling stock.
Amtrak Historical Society
AR: Flippin. White River Scenic Railway. Standard gauge that offers scenic train rides through the beautiful Ozark Mountains with multiple routes and boarding locations.
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway
Atlantic CoastLine RailRoad
Australia: Lithgow Zig Zag Railway Blue Mountains Australia
AZ: Clarkdale. Verde Canyon Railroad. Standard gauge offers panoramic train rides.
AZ: Nevada County Depot Museum Prescott, AZ
AZ: Tucson. Gadsden-Pacific Division Train Operating Museum in Tucson, AZ. - This museum had been located in one of the Tucson malls for 9 years, but in fall 1997 they completed building their own 6000 square foot building. They are presently just starting on rebuilding layouts and exhibits whose progress will be continually updated on their site.
AZ: Williams. Grand Canyon Railway. Standard gauge offers train ride, museum and a display.
CA: California State Railroad Museum. In Sacremento, CA. Standard and 36" gauge museum. Eleven acres including 100,000 square foot museum of railroad history, reconstructed 1870's passenger station, and an extensive library and archive.
CA: East Bay Railroad Sightings Home PageThis Web site presents East Bay Railroad Sightings, featuring the UP/SP Sacramento line as seen from Berkeley, and the UP Canyon Subdivision and SP Coast Line as seen from the Oakland Jack London Amtrak station.
CA: The Centerville Depot Centerville, CA Como-Harriet Streetcar Line
CA: Laws Railroad Museum and Historical Site. 22 historic buildings and 11 acres of mining, farming and railroad equipment. Located in Bishop, CA.
CA: Los Angeles Traffic Report How's the traffic doing in L.A.? Links to the Metro rail lines and to Metrolink are here. Also links to Orange County and San Diego traffic reports.
CA: Los Angeles Metro Rail -- Red, Blue, Green Lines Status reports and up to the minute information.
CA: Metrolink - Southern California's Commuter Rail System Official up to the minute information about this key Los Angeles area heavy rail system.
CA: Orange Empire Railway Museum. In Perris, CA. Standard 36" and 42: gauge; 1 and 0.7 mile train rides. They have 200 street cars, Interurbans and Diesel, Steam and Electric Locomotives, and rolling stock.
CA: PalmLeaf Passenger Car: LA, CA. A few excursions yearly on this beautiful Passenger Car - the Palmleaf. These excursions would take you North or South on scenic tourist type of trips. Worth a look.
CA: Railroad Park Resort: Dunsmuir, CA. A 28 room Caboose Motel and Restaurant with the dinner houses in refurbished rail cars.
CA: Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad. In Felton, CA. Narrow Gauge train ride behind a shay and a heisler locomotive.
CA: Sacramento Model Railroad Club includes photos of train action in the Sacramento area as well as a peek into the goings-on at the Sacramento Railroad Club. The club has a lot of emphasis on the work they have done to light up the layout and rolling stock.
CA: San Diego Railroad Museum in San Diego. Standard gauge museum with over 80 pieces of rail equipment and regularly scheduled train trips featuring trips to Mexico.
CA: San Francisco. Golden Gate Railroad Museum. Standard gauge railwaymuseum which owns and operates many locomotives related to Bay Area Railroads.
CA: San Jose: San Jose historical Museum. 25 acre complex with 27 historic and reconstructed buildings. Includes a trolley ride.
CA: Santa Cruz, Big Trees & Pacific Railway. Felton CA. Standard gauge train ride behind diesel power.
CA: Sunol. Niles Canyon Railway. 12 mile standard gauge train ride over the original transcontinental railroad route.
CA: Woodland. Yolo Shortline Railroad Company. This is a 28 mile 2 hour round trip standard gauge train ride.
Chicago & Northwestern RR
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy RR
Bridge Line Historical Society. D&H blue and gray lightning stripe lovers should check this one out.
Canada: Alberta: Edmonton Radial Railway Society Home Page Edmonton, Alberta
Canada: Ontario: York Durham Heritage Railway Uxbridge, Ontario
Canada: Saskatoon Railroad Modelers group is a non profit group promoting model railroading in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. Started 10 years ago to build and maintain a model rr diorama in the local museum.
Canada: CPRdb is the Canadian Pacific Railway Data Base, an unofficial site with emphasis on CP Railway, and including a number of other items of interest.
CO: Colorado Live Steamers - this club builds and operates 1 inch and 2 inch large scale live steam locomotives. They have recently built a 5 mile point to point railroad in Byers Colorado.
CO: Narrow Gauge Circle - Narrow gauge railfans will love this site with maps, history and old photos of narrow-gauge excursions. This site is listed as one of the top 100 great Colorado Sites with the Rocky Mountain News.
CO: Colorado Railroad Museum. Located in Golden, Colorado
CO: Cimarron CO. - Stationary Engine 278 Narrow Gauge. Historic engine 278 with tender, box car and caboose on a stone and steel trestle.
CO: Denver: The Denver Trolley
CO: Durango/Silverton, CO - this tourist railroad is one of the most popular rides in the state . Set in the beautiful San Juan mountains.
CO: Fort Collins Colorado Municipal Railway Site - They operate the only original restored streetcar operation on an original route in the United States. It is without a doubt, the biggest electric train set in Colorado. 12 inch to the foot scale and is just an hours drive north of Denver. Most of the members are dedicated model railroaders. Their street car #21 has recently undergone a major overhaul. The operation is entirely operated and managed by volunteers. They are also an FRA class 4 common carrier due to the fact that they are standard gauge and have 17 public grade crossings. Normally trolley operations are exempted from federal regulation, but this one is not.
CO: GeorgeTown Colorado Railroad Loop --- history, tourist information and photos of this narrow gauge railroad and accompanying silver mine tour.
CO: Leadville Train. This is a 22 mile trip in the mountains of Colorado.
CO: Moffat County, Craig CO - Stationary historic site pullman car
CO: Pueblo Railroad Museum
CO: Rose-Garden Rail Road located in Littleton, CO - see their page for more information.
CO: Royal Gorge Tourist Railway. Not too far from Denver. Standard gauge train ride through the spectacular Royal Gorge.
Critters from WWI-- Included is the McEwan Pratt 10hp rail tractor used to haul troops.
C. E. Keen Flume & Lumber Co.
CT: Danbury CT. Danbury Railway Museum. Standard gauge train ride. Displays in the museum include a diesel locomotive and 40 pieces of rolling stock.
CT: Danbury Railway Museum Historic station and rail yard in downtown Danbury CT.
CT: Shoreline Trolley Museum. East Haven CT. Standard gauge trolley rides and a museum.
CT: Dinner Trains of New England Scenic train ride with dinner, Essex, CT
CT: Essex Steam Train and Riverboat Ride. Standard gauge 2 hour train ride behind a steam locomotive connecting with a riverboat cruise.
D&RGW: See Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society.
DE: Queen Anne's Railroad. In Lewes Delaware. Standard gauge dinner train behind steam locomotive.
GA: Blue Ridge Scenic Railroad in Marietta, GA. Standard gauge 26 mile roundtrip train ride behind a diesel locomotive.
GA: Kennesaw Civil War Museum, Kennesaw, GA. This Museum includes a "General" Steam Locomotive used in the Great Locomotive chase of the Civil War.
GA: Stone Mountain National Park: Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad. 25 minute narrated trip around Stone Mountain behind a diesel locomotive.
Hawaii: Hawaii Railway Society: Ewa Town - Hawaii. 6 mile 90 minute ride behind a narrow gauge Diesel.
Hawaii: The Hawaiian Railway - Oahu, Hawaiia
IA: Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad Boone, IA Un-official page
IA: Virtual Train Watching in Iowa Many photos, extensive list of train watching spots in Iowa. Includes a photo of AMTRAK F40PH #200.
Idaho: Montana Rockies Rail Tours. In Sandpoint Idaho. Standard gauge, 455 mile rail tour. Sandpoint Idaho to Livingston Montana. With Motorcoach extension tours available to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks.
IL: Chicago --- Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Display includes a 3,000 square foot O gauge Model Railroad.
IL: Silver Creek & Stephenson Railroad Freeport, IL Stephenson County Antique Engine Club Society for the Preservation of Carter R
IL: Peoria-- (Dunlap) Wheels O' Time Museum This museum has standard gauge railroad equipment, antique automobiles, fire trucks and more.
IL: Monticello Railway Museum Home PageMonticello, IL --- Museum and 50 minute round trip on standard gauge track.
IL: South Elgin --- Fox River Trolley Museum. Standard gauge Chicago area Interurban and "EL" equipment, museum and a train ride.
IL: Rossville --- Danville Junction Chapter. NRHS. This museum in former C&EI Railroad Depot includs an HO Railroad layout.
IL: Union --- Illinois Railway Museum. America's largest Railroad museum, standard gauge. Including over 25 steam locomotives and more than 300 pieces of rail equipment.
IL: Galesburg Railroad Museum Galesburg Railroads Galesburg, IL
IN: Hoosier Valley Railroad MuseumNorth Judson, IN Home of the C&O 2789
IN: Ft. Wayne --- Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society. - standard gauge museum and train rides.
IN: National NYC RR Museum Elkhart, IN New York Central - this museum traces the history of NYC.
IN: Linden Depot Museum Linden, IN
IN: Linden --- Linden Railroad Museum. Museum housed in Depot.
IN: Whitewater Valley Railroad. Connersvelle Indiana. Standard Gauge, 32 mile 5 hour round trip to Metamora, Indiand with a 2 hour stopover.
KS: Great Plains Transportation Museum Wichita, KS Wichita Chapter
KS: Great Plains Transportation Museum Wichita, KS
KY: Hardin Southern Railroad Located in Hardin, a 2 hour, 18 mile, standard gauge diesel railroad trip
KY: Kentucky Railway Museum A standard gauge railway museum with steam/diesel, 20 mile, 1.5 hour railroad trip, located in New Haven
LA: Lousiana State Railroad Museum Artifacts,library and HO layout in Gretna, LA
MA: Walker Transportation Collection, Beverly Historical Society and Museum Collection of over 100,000 photographs of transportation in New England; Beverly, MA
MA: Berkshire Scenic Railway Lenox, MA; 15 minute short shuttle ride, standard gauge and 3 model railroads museum
MA: Lowell National Historical Park Lowell, MA; Standard gauge electric trolley museum and ride
MA: Edaville USA (Formerly Edaville Railroad) South Carver, MA Official Website
MD: B&O Railroad Museum Baltimore, MD (Wes Barris Virtual Tour) Baltimore Streetcar Museum
MD: National Capital Trolley Musuem Home Page Silver Spring, MD
MD: Baltimore Streetcar Museum 5' 4.5" gauge museum (13 cars) with 1 1/4 mile round trip ride
MD: B&O Railroad Museum Standard gauge railroad museum (48 locomotives, 146 cars) and a 3 mile round trip rail excursion in Baltimore
MD: Streetcar at Baltimore Streetcar MuseumBaltimore, MD
MD: Brunswick Museum Brunswick, MD; HO layout with 863 feet of track, railroad artifacts
MD: Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Located in Cumberland, a standard gauge steam and diesel 32 mile round trip ride
MD: Ellicott City and B&O Railroad Station Museum Historic railroad station with museum and HO , O and G scale layout, Ellicott City, MD
MD: Marion Station Railroad Museum and Gift Shoppe Marion, MD; Museum and gift shop in restored PRR station
MD: Walkersville Southern Railroad Walkersville, MD; A standard gauge, diesel and gasoline powered, 8 mile, one hour round trip ride
MD: National Capital Trolley Museum Located in Wheaton, a 1 3/4 mile, 20 minute trolley ride and O gauge trolley layout
ME: Maine Coast Railroad Freight and tourist railroad located on the Maine coast
ME: Boothbay Railway Village 24" narrow gauge steam train ride and restored railroad structures, Boothbay, ME
ME: Oakfield Railroad Museum Photographic exhibit and memorabilia in restored station, located in Oakfield
ME: Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum Located in Portland, ME, a 3 mile ride on 2 foot gauge railroad, steam/diesel, and museum
ME: Seashore Trolley Museum Kennebunkport, ME; A 3.5 mile interurban trip and a collection of mass-transit vehicles
ME: WW&F Railway Museum Sheepscot, ME Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railw
ME: Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad Unity, ME; Train excursion
MI: Adrian & Blissfield Railroad Standard gauge diesel, 1.5 hour roundtrip ride located in Blissfield
MI: Coopersville Michigan Historical Society and Museum Coopersville, MI in a former interurban depot
MI: Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village Railroad A standard gauge, steam, 2.5 mile, 35 minute train ride. 12 acres of automobiles under one roof and a 81 acre outdoor museum, located in Dearborn
MI: Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee Tour of the last remaining railroad car ferry to serve in Betsie Bay, Elberta, MI
MI: Huckleberry Railroad Flint, MI; Narrow gauge, steam, 8 mile trip
MI: The Grand Traverse Dinner Train Grand Traverse, MI; A 45 mile, standard gauge, diesel powered dinner train trip
MI: Iron Mountain Iron Mine 24" gauge train ride and mine tour, Iron Mountain, MI
MI: Michigan Transit Museum Mt. Clemens, MI; 6 mile, 40 minute, standard gauge train ride and museum
MI: Saginaw Railway Museum Saginaw, MI
MI: Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation Owosso, MI; Standard gauge 1941 steam locomotive in 1887 locomotive shop, occasional rides
MI: Michigan Star Clipper Dinner Train/COE Rail Walled Lake, MI; A 3 hour train ride, standard gauge, with 5 course meal and entertainment
MI: Little River Railroad White Pigeon, MI; 25 mile, 2 3/4 hour, standard gauge, steam powered trip
MN: Ironworld Discovery Center A trolley ride in Chisholm
MN: MTM Traction Division Lakes Harriet, MN
MN: Lake Superior Railroad Museum & North Shore Scenic Railroad Duluth, MN
MN: Minnesota Transportation Museum/Excelsior Streetcar Line 1 mile trolley ride, 2.5 hour cruise on Lake Minnetonka
MN: Minnesota Transportation Museum/Minnehaha Depot Museum and display in restored depot
MN: Minnesota Transportation Museum/Como-Harriet Streetcar Line Minneapolis, MN; 2 mile standard gauge trolley ride and museum
MN: North Star Rail, Inc.- Friends of the 261 A day long, standard gauge train ride behind Alco 4-8-4 steam locomotive, Minneapolis
MO: Silver Dollar City Theme Park Branson, MO; Standard gauge train ride in theme park
MO: Wabash Frisco & Pacific Railway-"The Uncommon Carrier" A 2 mile, 30 minute, 12" gauge train ride, located in Glencoe
MO: St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railway Jackson, MO; Standard gauge, steam powered train ride and dinner train ride
MO: Frisco Railroad Museum Springfield, MO; 2,000 items of Frisco and Frisco related memorabilia in Frisco building
MO: Patee House Museum Transportation and communications museum in former hotel, St. Joseph, MO
MO: Michael Steinberg's West Shore Line Homepage For fans of the West Shore Line, with links to many other sites. Now includes St. Louis MO railfan info.
MT: Isaac Walton Inn Essex, MT; Historic railroad hotel with dining room, bar, railroad antiques and memorabilia, located next to BNSF main line
MT: Charlie Russell Chew-Choo Dinner Train Located in Lewistown, MT, a 3.5 hour, standard gauge, diesel powered dinner train ride
NC: New Hope Valley Railway Bonsal, NC; Standard gauge, 8 mile round trip train ride and displays
NC: Great Smoky Mountains Railway Dillsboro, NC; Standard gauge train ride and dinner train, steam or diesel
NC: North Carolina Transportation Museum at Historic Spencer Shops Spencer, NC; Standard gauge train ride and museum
NC: Wilmington Railroad Museum Located in Wilmington, museum with HO, O and N scale layouts
NC: South Carolina Railroad Museum Located in Winnsboro, a standard gauge, 7 mile train ride with museum
NE: Fremont & Elkhorn Valley Railroad, National Park Historical Society, Nebraska Chapter Fremont, NE; 30 mile round trip, steam powered, standard gauge train ride
NE: Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Located in Grand Island, NE, a 200 acre living history museum
NE: Omaha Zoo Railroad Omaha, NE; 2.5 mile, 30" gauge train ride through zoo
NH: Hobo Railroad Lincoln, NH; 1 1/4 hour train ride and dinner train, diesel powered, standard gauge
NH: Conway Scenic Rairoad North Conway, NH; Train ride, dinner train, museum, display and layout
NH: Cafe Lafayette Dinner Train North Woodstock; 20 mile, standard gauge dinner train
NH: Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad 1 and 2 hour train excursions, diesel powered, standard gauge, located in Meredith/Weirs Beach, NH
NJ: Northlandz Great American Railway, Dollhouse Museum & Art Gallery Flemington, NJ; World's largest miniature railway running over 100 trains, doll museum, art gallery and 3 foot outside railroad
NJ: Black River & Western Railroad Flemington-Ringoes, NJ; 1.5 hour, standard gauge train ride, steam and diesel
NJ: Central RR of New Jersey (Anthracite Railroads Historical Society)
NJ: TMRCI - The Model Railroad Club, Inc.;Union, N.J.
NJ: Whippany Railway Museum Museum featuring large operating Lionel layout, located in Whippany
NM: Toy Train Depot Alamogordo, NM; Museum of model and toy trains with layouts in Z, N, HO and O gauge
NM: Clovis Depot Model Train Museum Museum, display, model railroad layout in depot located on BNSF main, located on Clovis
NM: Santa Fe Southern Railway Santa Fe, NM Standard gauge, diesel powered train ride and dinner train
NV: Nevada State Railroad Museum Carson City, NV; Standard and narrow gauge museum housing over 50 pieces of equipment
NV: Nevada Northern Railway Museum 14 mile, 1.5 hour, standard gauge train ride, steam and diesel powered, located in East Ely, NV
NV: Nevada Rails Home Page All about the railroads of Nevada.
NY: New York Transit Museum Brooklyn, NY; Vintage rail car train ride and museum
NY: Martisco Station Museum, Central New York Chapter NRHS, Camillus, NY; Museum, display and layout (1 " gauge) in restored depot
NY: Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley Railroad Located in Cooperstown, a 16 mile round trip, standard gauge train ride and dinner train, museum and display
NY: New York & Lake Erie Railroad Gowanda, NY; Standard gauge, 20 mile, 2 3/4 hour round trip train ride and 30 mile, 4 hour round trip train ride
NY: Trolley Museum of New York Standard gauge, 2.5 mile, 40 minute round trip trolley ride, Kingston
NY: Tioga Scenic Railroad Owego NY; Standard gauge, 1 3/4 hour round trip train ride with dining available on board
NY: Empire State Railway Museum Phoenicia, NY; Museum and display in former railroad station
NY: Rochester and & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum Standard gauge museum housed in restored station with outdoor displays of locomotives and cars, Rochester
NY: New York Museum of Transportation Rochester, NY; Interurban train ride, museum, and operating HO layout
NY: Roscoe Ontario & Western Railway Museum Museum complex consisting of caboose, watchman's shanties and station motif building, located in Roscoe
NY: Delaware & Ulster Railride Stamford, NY; Standard gauge, 19 mile train ride, museum and display
NY: Rensselaer Model Railroad Exhibit Located in Troy, a 500 linear foot historical railroad exhibit
NY: Abandoned Elevated Stations and considerable other information about NYC railroads and related matters.
NY: Penny Bridge New York railroading and more.
OH: The Cincinnati Railroad Club A non-profit educational organization with a membership of over 300 individuals with a hobbyist's interest in railroads.
OH: Cincinnati Railroad Club Museum and display in former control tower
OH: Conneaut Railroad Museum Standard gauge museum with antique exhibits of steam era
OH: The Dennison Railroad Depot Museum Standard gauge train ride, museum, display and N-Scale layout
OH: Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad Hebron, OH Standard gauge, 1.5 hour round trip train ride, diesel
OH: Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Located in Independence, a standard gauge train ride, diesel
OH: Harmar Station Marietta, OH A model railroad museum and operating layout in standard, O and G gauges; 275 model locomotives on display.
OH: Hocking Valley Scenic Railway A 12 mile and 25 mile standard gauge train ride, steam and diesel, located in Nelsonville.
OH: Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad Sandusky, OH; 2 mile train rides, steam powered, in amusement park
OH: Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway 20 mile, standard gauge train ride, diesel powered
OH: Ohio Railway Museum Worthington, OH; 2 mile, standard gauge, trolley/interurban ride and museum
OK: Sunbelt Railroad Museum Railroad museum in Tulsa
OK: Waynoka Depot Museum Restored Santa Fe depot and Harvey House Restaurant in Waynoka
OR: Phoenix and Holly Railroad Canby, OR; 1 3/4 mile, 15" gauge train ride through flowers with stopover at petting zoo
OR: Mount Hood Railroad and Dinner Train Hood River, OR; Standard gauge, excursion, brunch and dinner train rides
OR: Oregon Electric Railway Historical Society Located in Lake Oswego, a scenic trip on a standard gauge trolley
OR: Washington Park & Zoo Railway Portland, OR; 4 mile, 30" gauge train ride through zoo and park
OR: Train Mountain Railroad Museum Chiloquin, OR
OR: Over The Hill Live Steamers Chiloquin, OR
OR: Depot Park and DeWitt Museum - Oregon Online Highways Prairie City, OR
OR: Crooked River Dinner Train Redmond, OR; Standard gauge dinner train, diesel powered
PA: Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum Standard gauge museum in former PRR building
PA: Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark Altoona, PA; Display and visitor center at historic curve site
PA: Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine and Steam Train Located in Ashland, a narrow gauge train ride behind steam locomotive and mine tour
PA: Catawissa Railroad Company Standard gauge railroad display, restored reading station, and cabooses
PA: Delaware Valley ARP Home PageThe most extensive Association of Railroad Passengers web site. Amtrak and commuter rail schedule. Late breaking news. And everything you want to know about the Delaware Valley.
PA: Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site Cresson, PA; Standard gauge museum including remains of incline railway used to portage canal boats over Allegheny Mountains
PA: National Toy Train MuseumStrasburg, PA
PA: Northern Central Railway New Freedom, PA Pacific Northwest -
PA: The Franklin Institue Science Museum Philadelphia, PA; Standard gauge railroad and model railroad display including 4-10-2 steam locomotive
PA: Steamtown National Historic Site Located in Scranton, a 27 mile, standard gauge steam excursion, museum and display
PA: Choo Choo Barn Traintown U.S.A Strasburg, PA; 18 operating O gauge trains on large layout and 500 Thomas the Tank items
PA: The National Toy Train Museum Located in Strasburg, a museum with large collection of toy trains and five operating layouts
PA: Railroad Musuem of Pennsylvania Museum with more than 90 steam, electric, and diesel locomotives, passenger and freight cars, and memorabilia, located in Strasburg
PA: Strasburg Railroad 9 mile, 45 minute, standard gauge train ride and dinner train behind steam locomotive
PA: NorthWest RailsPennsylvania Trolley Museum Washington, PA
PA: Pennsylvania Trolley Museum Washington, PA; Standard gauge and 5' 2.5" gauge, trolley ride, museum and display
PA: Tioga Central Railroad Wellsboro, PA; Standard gauge, 24 mile train trip, 42 mile dinner train trip
Michigan: Grand Haven, Michigan - Pere Marquette #1223 Grand Haven, Michigan
PA - Philadelphia Trolley Coalition Home Page Rail & Transit Info
PA: Pioneer Tunnel Anthracite Coal Mine Tour and Narrow Guage Steam Train Ride Ashland,
PA: Reading CO T&H Society
PA: Rockhill Trolley Museum Rockhill Furnace, PA (Adjacent to the EBT)
Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society (RGM&HS). "Dedicated to preserving and disseminating the historical record of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad and its predecessors, and to the encouragement of accurate scale modeling of the railroad."
RI: Dinner Trains of New England Scenic train ride with dinner, Newport, RI
RI: Providence Rhode Island has a Club with a 3,000 square foot layout they call the Providence Northern. We were notified of its' existence by member Ken Burns.
SD: Black Hills Central Railroad Located in Hill City, SD a standard gauge, 2 hour round trip train ride behind steam
SD: Prairie Village Standard gauge and 24" gauge train ride, dinner train, museum and display located in Madison
TN: Chattanooga Choo Choo Restored station with museum and display. Also a 360 room Holiday Inn complex with 48 passenger cars as part of the hotel
TN: Tennessee Valley Railroad A standard gauge, 6 mile, 45 minute train ride, steam and diesel, with museum and display in Chattanooga
TN: Broadway Dinner Train Nashville, TN; Standard gauge, 2.5 hour dinner train ride
TN: Tennessee Central Railway Museum A standard gauge train ride, museum, display and layout, located in Nashville
TN: NS Shop Tour On-line tour of the Chattanooga, TN, Norfolk Southern system assembly shop.
TN: Little River Railroad & Lumber Co.
Non Profit organization operating a free museum in Townsend TN.
TX: Texas Panhandle Railroad Historical Society Standard gauge display of Santa Fe 2-10-4 #5000 steam locomotive in Amarillo
TX: Austin and Texas Central Railroad Standard gauge train ride behind steam locomotive
TX: Age of Steam Railroad Museum Dallas, TX
TX: Fort Worth's Forest Park Railroad Fort Worth, TX
TX: Fort Worth/Dallas Rail Scene This site has links to many other sites, plus photos take by the site moderator. See the Trinity Railway Express portion for photos of DART units
TX: Trinity Railway Express discussion forum.
TX: Center for Transportation Large railroad museum with 46 railroad cars and memorabilia, Galveston Island
TX: Tarantula Train Standard gauge 21 mile train ride behind steam, Grapevine, Fort Worth, TX
TX: Railroad and Pioneer Museum Depot museum with early Santa Fe and MKT station equipment, Temple, TX
TX: Texas State Railroad Rusk and Palestine, TX Standard gauge, 4 hour, 50 mile round trip train ride behind steam
UT: Heber Valley Railroad Heber City, UT; Standard gauge, 1 hour or 3.5 hour train ride
UT: Golden Spike NHS Homepage Promontory, UT Official Site
VA: Fairfax Station Railroad Museum Fairfax Station, VA; Display in restored southern railroad depot
VA: U.S. Army Transportation Museum Military history museum including rail rolling stock, helicopters, and aircraft, Fort Eustis, VA
VA: Old Dominion Railway Museum Standard gauge museum including freight and passenger equipment, Richmond, VA
VA: Virginia Museum of Transportaion Roanoke, VA; Standard gauge museum with diesel and steam collection, display and O gauge layout
VA: America's Railroads on Parade Broadway designed O, HO and S gauge layouts, Willamsburg, VA
VT: Green Mountain Railroad-Green Mountain Flyer Bellows Falls, VT; Standard gauge, 2 hour, 26 mile excursion ride
VT: Shelburne Museum Located in Shelburne, VT, a standard gauge museum housed in 37 buildings on 45 acre site
WA: Mt. Ranier Scenic Railroad Elbe,WA; Standard gauge, 14 mile, 1.5 hour round trip train ride, steam-powered
WA: Toppenish, Simcoe & Western Excursion Railroad Toppenish, WA Union Depot Railroad Museum -
White Pass & Yukon Route: 36 Inch gauge, offers train rides of different lengths, steam and diesel. Visit their site.
WA: Yakima Electric Railway Museum - Washington Online HighwaysYakima, WA
WA: Washington (State) Association of Railroad Passengers Extensive site.
WA: Save AMTRAK's Pioneer Washington ARP's thorough page devoted to this subject.
WA: Mon-Road Railroad - Washington Online Highways Moses Lake, WA
WA: SPCRR HomeSpirit of Washington Dinner Train Renton, WA
WA: Tenino Depot Museum - Washington Online Highways Tenino, WA
WA: Western Washington Steam This web page is for all you folks who are interested in steam locomotives and want to know where in Washington you can go to see them.
WI: East Troy Electric Railroad, Wisconsin Trolley Museum Standard gauge, 10 mile trolley ride and museum, East Troy, WI
WI: Mid-Continent Railway Historical Society Located in North Freedom, WI, a standard gauge, 7 mile, 50 minute, steam-powered train ride and dinner train
WI: National Railroad Museum Green Bay, WI; Standard gauge museum with 20 minute train ride
WI: Zoofari Express Milwaukee, County Zoo, Milwaukee, WI; 15" gauge, 1.25 mile round trip ride across zoo
WV: Cass Scenic Railroad State Park Cass, WV; Standard gauge train ride, dinner train and museum
WV: West Virginia Northern Railroad Standard gauge 3 hour, 21.4 mile, narrated, round trip ride, diesel-powered, Kingwood, WV
WV: Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad - A Scenic Railroad Train Excursion through Potomac Highlands of WV Romney, WV
How a Steam Engine Works this site literally explains how a steam Engine works.
Semaphores.com Semaphores & lens for sale
Other sites not in alphabetical order:
- Dan Dawdy's Cyberspace World Railroad Home Page A major railroad oriented web site.
- 7 millimeter society
- Webville and Hypertext Railroad Company Another major railroad oriented web site.
- Rail Serve Internet Railroad Directory with links to many railroad-oriented sites, organized by subject, plus a Chat Room and a message Forum.
- Railroad related "Photo Archives"Photos of SF, BN, Colorado & Southern. Many photos.
- Norfolk Southern "Photo Archives"
- Transportation (Engineering and Technology) Information and links to all types of transportation.
- RITS Rock Island Technical Society.
- Andrew Toppan's Railroad Page A major site with gobs of info and links to all over.
- Houghton's Raillmages Homepage #1All sorts of railroad info, and many photos.
- NCDOT Rail Division Home Page North Carolina wants you to know about railroading in their great state. Here's there page that tells you.
- The Bridge Line Historical Society D&H "blue-and-gray, lightning-stripe lovers" should check this one out.
- TrainWWW A Japanese site with a few photos of interest to railroad fans.
- American Memory Collection SearchThis is the LC Web's seach engine. Just start with keyword RAILROAD and then reduce the scope as you wish.
- North American Steam Locomotives All you ever wanted to know!
- Harris Moutaintop TrainsSponsored by Harris Semiconductor. Section about Steamtown. Photo Archive includes rotary plows and other goodies.
- Rails and Transit Joseph Brennan's extensive site includes NYC's
- Abandoned Subway Stations
- Abandoned Railroad Stations
- TrainWeb Information and photographs relating to passenger, freight and model trains in the United States and Worldwide including extensive links to other rail resources on the web. Information of interest to the professional rail industry is also featured.
- RAIL 90 Tenet: A hierarchy of intetrconnected transportation modes shall be developed that will efficiently transport people, goods, and services. And other related issues.
- United Transportation Union (UTU) "The resources available through this service are intended to provide our officers and members with a constantly evolving set of tools theyll find useful in their pursuit of personal and professional progress."
- AAR Reporting MarksThis file contains all AAR assigned reporting marks as of April 1987 (most up-to-date we can find so far).
- New England States Area: John Arico's New England Train & Trolley Page Here you will find information on railfanning in and around New England.
- The Tell Tale An electronic newsletter about the Northern Pacific Railway.
- Dave's Train Pictures A collection of railroad photography from the mid 50's on.
- Jerry's Railroad Photo Album Another collection of railroad photos
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) Home PagePromotes safe, environmentally sound successful railroad transportation to meet current and future needs of all customers.
- Rail Center A place for Scott Withrow to share his photographs, knowledge, and even opinions with other railroad enthusiasts of all types
- Regional and Short Lines Railroads An Internet news magazine and reference about the short line and regional railroad companies operating in North America.
- Conrail AcquisitionSurfaceTransportationBoard/Section of Environmental Analysis.
- Central Virginia Railfan Page Paul Wilson's exceptionally well done web site.
- Trackside Motel listA list of hotels and motels that overlook rail lines. Sounds like the places to go!
- Tweetsie Railroad If you've got a hankerin' for a trip back to the exciting days of the Old West, saddle up and head to Tweetsie Railroad.
- Peter E Thompson's SitePacific Northwest railroading is the theme of this site from an English railfan.
- Pacific Northwest Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in Portland Oregon
- Railroad and Anthracite Homepage Northeast Pennsylvania was famous for its Anthracite mines and the supporting railroads. This site keeps the memories alive.
- Quiet Please, Recording: this site sells digital rail sounds on CD. They also offer 5 nice train sounds you can download.
European & England Railroads
Australia and New Zealand
- Amtrak's Texas EagleWith coverage of related Texas Eagle connections including the Sundst Limited, Heartland Flyer, and KC-St. Louis service.
- VIA RAIL Canada's passenger railroad.
- VIA Rail reservations and ticketingMake your Canadian travel reservations here.
- RailServe Planning on travelling by train? RailServe provides over 1,350 rail-related links, a search engine, railfan message board, chat room, and more!
- All Aboard - USA: pro-rail Internet coalition An up-to-date listing of the addresses for the National Association of Railroad Passengers and its local affiliates.
- Friends of Amtrak Friends of Amtrak is an internet advocacy effort supporting continued funding for Amtrak by providing information on legislation and Amtrak operations.
- CalTrains: Amtrak California Home Page Schedules, promotions, key press releases, other info.
- CalTrans: California Cars and Locomotives Everything you want to know about the California Cars and Engines.
- Conway Scenic Railroad Information about fares, dates of operation, equipment and so on.
- Cape Cod Railroad Excursions and an elegant Dinner Train. The site has schedules and all the info you'll need.
- Rocky Mountain Railtours.
- High Speed Ground Transportation The governments view of what the future holds in the way of faster trains and other high speed ways to travel on the ground. Caution -- the interesting parts of this web site are very large files.
- Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation DistrictOwners and operators of the South Shore Line.
- A NEW VISION FOR AMERICA'S PASSENGER RAIL
The Report of Working Group on Intercity Passenger Rail to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure June 1997 (Includes Minority Report and all Appendixes)
More Railroad Musuems and Historical Societies
Many railroad museums and related organizations have World Wide Web pages. Here is a list of several of them, arranged roughly in geographic order from the Northeast to the West, and then others. Sites known to be unofficial are noted.North American Tourist Railroad and Rail Museum List This web site provides info about (and some links to) many tourist railroads and railroad museums in North America. Travelers interested in visiting tourist railroads or rail museums will want to peruse this site.
- Seashore Trolley Museum The oldest and largest museum of its type. If you rode trolley's as a kid, they probably have one of them here.
- ID: Idaho Falls - the Eagle Rock Railroad Historical Society, Inc. Eagle Rock is the original name of the Idaho Falls townsite. This group is dedicated to preserving the history of railroading in Southeast Idaho and the surrounding areas through the use of model railroading and historical displays.
- Library of Congress World Wide Web (LC Web) Home Page You'll have to search, but the information here is vast.
- Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum A small museum with interesting displays -- for variety, they even have a full sized USN Battleship very close by.
- NY: Kingston (NY) Trolley Museum The Trolley Museum of New York. Ride along the majestic Hudson River. See antique trolleys and a great Visitor's Center.
- New York City Transit Museum (Unofficial) What's happening in the subways of New York this week? Go to this unofficial site to find out. Also lots of other NYC transit info.
- Whippany Railway MuseumDedicated to the preservation of New Jersey's railroad heritage.
- Steamtown National Historic Site (Unofficial) All the info you'll need to know except maybe how much fun it is to visit this working museum.
- Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania (Official)Houses one of the most significant collections of historic railroad artifacts in the world. Located in Strasburg PA, just across the street from the Strasburg Railroad, this is a major railroad museum.
- Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania (Unofficial)
- Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum (Unofficial) This site isn't an official Web Page for the B&O museum, but it's the next best thing. And this museum is one of the best in the world.
- Tennessee Valley RailroadLargest operating historic railroad in the South.
- North Carolina Railroad Museum An official web site concerning this fine museum.
- The Gulf Coast Chapter, NRHS A non-profit museum that restores vintage rail cars and travels on excursions. Emphasis is on Texas railroads and local Gulf Coast rail history.
- Illinois Railway Museum (Official) Winner of two Superior Achievement awards given by the Illinois Association of Museums.
- Illinois Railway Museum (Unofficial) This site has pictures and information about this major museum.
- Minnesota Transportation MuseumRestoration, maintenance, operation and interpretation of historic modes of transportation. That's what it's all about.
- Colorado Railroad Museum MuseumColorado is famous for it's narrow gauge mining railroads, mostly belonging to the Rio Grande Railroad. Learn more about these lines and much more about Colorado rails at this museum.
- Nevada Rail Home PageLinks to web sites about the Nevada State Railroad Museum, the Nevada Northern Railroad, the Virginia and Truckee and others.
- Tucson's Old Pueblo Trolley Museum Arizona's only operating trolley museum.
- California State Railroad Museum One of the premier railroad museums of the world, with exceptional presentation of an exceptional collection.
- Portola Railroad Museum Info Home Page Want to drive a train? Anyone can, at this great California museum.
- Institute of Railway Studies University of York (England). Dedicated to the scholarly study of railways.
- Santa Clara River Valley RR Historical Society Home of a branch line that was the original Southern Pacific main line from Saugus CA to Los Angeles County and Montalvo in Venture County, until 1902.
- Shenandoah Valley Model Railroad Club
- Spokane Portland & Seattle Railway Historical Society Information and data about this interesting railroad.
- Yakima Valley Rail and Steam Museum Ride the Toppenish, Simcoe and Western Railroad excursion train.
- Golden Gate Railroad Museum Restored SP locomotive 2472 is the centerpiece of this museum by the bay.
- San Diego Railroad Museum Experience the historic San Diego & Arizona Railroad up close and personal in this mountain museum east of San Diego. Recently restored SP locomotive 2353 runs some weekends.
- Rail road-related Museums near San Diego This site features the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris CA, near Riverside CA; the San Diego Railroad Museum; and the San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- Railroad Museum Quickfinder A growing list of railroad museums around the U.S. Museums listed include the following states: California, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin and more.
- National Railway Museum, York EnglandOne of the premier railroad museums of the world.
- London Transport Museum Information about many railroads in Great Britain and links to their Web Sites.
- Mark Dewell's Railway Preservation Pages Pages about preservation of railroads and railroad equipment and links to many related sites.
- Steam Locomotive InformationRosters of all surviving steam locomotives in North America, and much more related info.
- Rocky Mountain Railroad Clubpeople from all over the world, not just Colorado, belong to this club. Ongoing projects.
- National Railroad Historical Society Home Page (Unofficial) Interesting and informative.
- Washington DC Chapter, NRHS Covers the chapter and it's activities, plus details about the chapter's heavyweight Pullman car, Dover Harbor
- Bergen-Rockland Chapter NRHS Articles from their newsletter from the past several years, current news and info, pictures and links to other sites.
- United Railroad Historical Society of NJ The URHS is a non-profit voluntary organization directed at supporting the preservation of historic railroad equipment and artifacts in the proposed New Jersey State Railroad and Transportation Museum.
- Spokane Portland & Seattle Railway Historical Society History and more about the SP&SR HS. Includes links to related sites.
- Amtrak Historical Society Recently (5/97) reinstituted.
- Walkersville Southern Railway - has started to add pictures, so the site grows continually
Private Varnish -- Privately Owned Railcars
Miscellaneous Railroading Web Sites